Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Don't bunt. Aim out of the ballpark. -David Ogilvy

Do you have dreams and aspirations? I woke up one morning a little over a year ago and realized that I didn't dream anymore. And not in the sense of dreams while you're sleeping... I didn't have a passion for my life. I had no strong desire or longing for an exciting future. I allowed frustration, roadblocks and what I thought were failures to dictate my story as a safe, sad and boring one. 

Thankfully with a firm push from a family member, I had an awakening. I realized that I deserved to take action towards a better life in spite of my past let-downs and frustrations. From here on out, every single day I had a choice be on a different path.

Ok, Lauren... Step one: Who do I want to be and what do I want to do?

How exciting is it that at any moment you can ask yourself this question? Everything that happens after that thought is another chapter in the story of your life. So make it a REALLY good one! Whats stopping you from writing the next Twilight or Hunger Games?

This very second - you're ready and able to write a lasting story you'd be proud to tell. How are you going to get there? 

Lets start with the basics. Set some goals for yourself.

goal

  [gohl]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the result or achievement toward which effort is directed;aim; end.
2.
the terminal point in a race.
3.
a pole, lineor other marker by which such a point is indicated.


1.  target; purpose, object, objective, intent, intention. 2.  finish. 

What is one thing you've been dying to accomplish? Write it down.

Our goals become the chapter titles to our story and the words that fill the pages are what we do on a daily basis to achieve them. Accomplishing them become a part of who we are. 

Its going to be an exciting journey, but realistically, you will get writers block. Some days its going to be REALLY hard (and sometimes scary) to see your goals to fruition. In those moments, you have a choice to feel differently. Be present. Recognize what is happening neurologically and emotionally when the goals that become a part of who we are seem out of reach. Fear and frustration are two lethal killers to our dreams and goals...tell them to buzz off!

In November of 2011 I wrote down a goal for myself. It read, "I want to live a life so interesting that I could write about it - and people would read about it." I stumbled across those words this morning in my notebook and realized, however few my readers are... I'd reached that goal. Nothing compares to the euphoric feeling of accomplishment! This small goal wasn't in the front of my mind on a daily basis; I am not a strong writer or English buff. however, after I recognized the dream and wrote it down, it lived inside my heart and fed my desire to start this blog.


Now its your turn. Get excited about your story and share it with others.

**Health and fitness plug!** I recently read a few articles on what happens on a chemical level in our brains that effects the stability of our moods which in turn effect our actions. Science has shown that exercise boosts the release of Serotonin and Dopamine, the neurotransmitters that help us feel stable and act as motivators. (Check out this article for more information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/540483-cardio-exercise-and-raising-dopamine-levels/) When you feel good, its easy to feel motivated and excited.  Can exercise help with your writers block?

3 comments:

  1. This is soooo good that I posted it on my professional Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it when inspiration meets drive and shit starts to HAPPEN!

    ReplyDelete